Celemony’s new DNA feature

Sometimes when you glance at your inbox, you don’t really pay much attention to all those ads from vendors trying to get your attention with their product.  Such was the case a couple of days ago when I trashed an email offering me special pricing on a new Celemony edition.  I use Celemony for pitch, timing and vowel correction on vocal tracks because you can easily sculpt the track and still have the element of believability (unlike some other plugins).  Today when I read WiretotheEar’s blog post and watched the video I realized I’d made a huge mistake in deleting that email.

Folks, this is going to revolutionize recording and remixing.  Imagine after listening to your track you notice that your B string was kinda out of tune.  No problem.  You can fix it.  What if you’re playing chords?  Still no problem.

My mouth drops open here;  prior to DNA there has not been a successful way to reach inside a polyphonic track (it’s got a bunch of notes happening at once) and fix things.  Heck, now you can even rearrange the music (change the chords, timing and everything).  

I can even use stock loops and rearrange them into something totally different.  I’ll be a virtual Dr. Frankenstein of audio! 

Can you imagine the possibilities of someday being able to reach inside a classic song (Insert your favorite song here) and totally change its feel, key, modality, or even mute the vocal track and replace it with your own!  The future is somehow both disturbing and exciting!

The email:  (luckily I hadn’t emptied my trash yet!)

We would like to inform you, as a user of Melodyne cre8, that each Melodyne studio comes with a free license for Melodyne plugin. An upgrade to Melodyne studio (380 €/380 US$) is now doubly worthwhile: You obtain along with Melodyne studio not only the current version of Melodyne plugin free of charge but also a free update to the upcoming Version 2 with Direct Note Access  – since for all copies of Melodyne plugin registered after the 12th March 2008, the update is free!

Here’s a 7 minute video for all you plugin hounds:  prepare to be amazed!

[kml_flashembed movie="http://www.youtube.com/v/jFCjv4_jqAY" width="425" height="350" wmode="transparent" /]

Celemony’s site had this to add:

For what type of material is Direct Note Access suitable?

A: Direct Note Access is designed for single polyphonic tracks. You can use it for the quality targeted editing of a piano, a guitar or a string quartet. Optimum results are obtained with cleanly recorded signals to which as few effects have been added as possible.

7 thoughts on “Celemony’s new DNA feature

1. Please try to use your powers for good and not evil.
    We can only hope that this information doesn’t get into the wrong hands.

2. It’s absolutely amazing. I have always loved that power that MIDI gives you to re-arrange everything but even break down chords, it’s unbelievable!It actually gives you the power to do just about everything and make stars out of plain dumb musicians!

3. Pingback: Beware!MIDI power unleashed to recorded wave tracks!!! | Guitar tabs,electric guitars,acoustic guitars

4. It does seem to be the beginning of something very revolutionary. It will be interesting to see where the technology goes from here. I’m still trying to wrap my mind around this. How did they do that?